Make/find yourself 2 or 3 very simple instruments which we will then use to play music.
- keep it very simple to start with. You may improve your instrument-making skills as you go.
- Beaters are as important as instruments. A biro or a stick with a rubber band or tape round the end can work.
- Experiment! Remember that ALL inventors make things that don’t work lets of times before they get it right so don’t worry if it goes wrong, just try again.
You will need some useful stuff, for example:
- Empty tins, tubs & pots. Plastic or metal best. Check: no sharp edges (esp metal tins) and clean. Some with lids, some without.
- Rubber bands / tape
- A small handful of small things eg: dried peas, lentils, very small stones, beads. Different materials will sound different so don’t mix them up
- a kitchen with kitchen stuff in it
There are no rules!
It’s ok to make mistakes- in fact it’s great! Enjoy your mistakes they might even sound better that what you were trying to do.